Vintage Telephone Pincushion

Here is what I've been working on for the last few days.  This is one of the new pincushion designs that has been rattling around in my head since the quilt show!  I've been trying to get my shop restocked but I really wanted to make something new.  New designs always take a little longer as the kinks get worked out along the way.


This is an original black vintage phone from the 1930's that I bought for my husband several years ago.  We have it plugged in (it works) in our family room and it has a lovely, very distinctive ring.  Added bonus, it works during power outages!  I know cell phones do too but this has way more style!


As usual, I began with sketches and notes which will be useful if I make this design again. There was no need for pattern pieces for this design because it is simply a black felt circle with holes over a white felt circle.  I cut the white circle a tiny bit smaller than the black one so that you won't see the white felt at the edges when it is put together.  


To make embroidering the numbers easier I lightly wrote the numbers with a very fine black pen and also did the white writing with white pen.  I usually do my embroidery without any markings but not letters or numbers like this. 


The side band is a smokey blue felt because it seemed to match the vintage feel and I appliquéd white, pink and coral flowers and green leaves onto it.  I also added some french knot flower buds with a pale pink variegated embroidery floss.  


These are not yet listed in my shop as I only just took the photos but I'm hoping to add them by tomorrow.   











Comments

Popular Posts