Honey, Lemon and Ginger Hot Tea

Yesterday I spent some time on the internet looking for hot honey, lemon and ginger drinks to soothe our sore throats and coughs.  I had some really fresh and juicy ginger from our local farmers market and some delicious raw honey also from our farmers market.  There was one recipe that kept cropping up so I decided to make up a batch.  We had a cup to try it yesterday evening and another just now.  It was better(more flavorful) today after it had been steeping overnight in the fridge.  It's supposed to last for a couple of months in the fridge but it is so tasty, I can't see it lasting that long!  My husband debated putting some Calvados in his last night but in the end decided it would change the delicate flavor balance too much.  


Here is the recipe

2 lemons, thoroughly washed and sliced (seeds are ok)
1 large piece of ginger, sliced with peel on.  (I used two pieces each about the size of my thumb)
1 cup of raw honey.  It needs to be runny so warm it if it needs it.  
1 12ounce glass jar

Layer the sliced lemons and ginger in alternate layers.  Slowly pour over the honey.  I poked at the mixture with a skewer to eliminate air bubbles.  Leave to steep in the fridge.  When you want to make tea, stir the mixture because it will be thicker at the bottom.  Put two tablespoons of honey mixture in a cup and pour hot water over it.  Stir and sip. 









Comments

Popular Posts